Qualify for rebates of $250 per ton when installing a ground source heat pump through Berkeley Electric Cooperative’s Earth Connect program.
A ground source heat pump works much like a regular heat pump, but with one important difference. The ground source heat pump transfers heat between your home and ordinary tap water in sealed underground pipes instead of between your home and outside air. And because there's no outdoor compressor, the result is a quiet, efficient, aesthetically pleasing system that can pay for itself over the course of ownership.
Geothermal systems can also provide "free" hot water during the cooling season. This hot water also makes the cooling system more efficient. Ask an approved contractor or The Energy Experts® at Berkeley Electric for more information.
490 Long Point Rd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Coastal Air Solutions
409 S Live Oak Dr
Moncks Corner, SC 29461
4541 Hwy 17S
Ravenel, SC 29470
2579 Oscar Johnson Dr.
North Charleston, SC 29405
3305 Stone Haven Dr.
N. Charleston SC 29420
Sweatman's Heating and Air
1943 Belgrade Ave. 1
How How Does Earth Connect Work?
An Earth Connect geothermal (also known as ground source) heat pump works like a conventional heat pump, but with one important difference. Conventional heat pumps transfer heat between your home and the outside air, while geothermal heat pumps transfer heat between your home and ordinary tap water circulating in sealed,
Underground temperatures remain fairly constant (about 65°) throughout the year. The geothermal heat pump uses this steady underground temperature to keep your home comfortable. For example, during the winter, the geothermal heat pump removes heat from the ground and transfers warm air to your home. During the summer, heat is removed from your house and is transferred to the ground. The resulting cool air is then blown into your home.
There are two types of geothermal heat pumps—open well and closed loop systems.* Open well systems pump water from a deep supply well through the heat pump. A closed loop system circulates water through a series of vertical and/or horizontal pipes
buried in the ground.
* In some locations of the Berkeley Electric Cooperative service area, restrictions may apply to the installation of either of these systems.
What Are The Advantages Of Earth Connect Over Other Systems?
- It maintains comfortable, steady temperatures in your home throughout the year.
- It can be 20 to 50 percent more efficient than many other systems.
- The unit is out of sight and quiet, without an outdoor compressor or fan. The heat transfer takes place underground.
- Wiring usually costs less because Earth Connect heat pumps donʼt require many heat strips that some conventional heat pumps use. In a great many cases, there are no back-up heat strips at all.
- The unit has a longer life and lower repair frequency because it is not exposed to the elements and works with ground temperatures that are more constant.
- The units are among the most environmentally friendly heating and cooling systems available today.